Thursday, 16 December 2010

Happy Birthday Miss Austen!

Watercolour of Jane Austen by her sister, Cassandra.

Today is Jane Austen's 235th birthday, and although accurate images of the lady herself are infuriatingly scarce, her legacy lies in her much-loved and oft-quoted words: words lovingly crafted and subsequently pored over.. words that have stood the harshest test of all: time. Social conventions may have changed and manners may have altered, but Austen's greatest theme remains as important today as it ever was.

Love.

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun." (Mr.Darcy - in response to Elizabeth's question as to when he first fell in love with her- , Pride & Prejudice, Chapter 60).

2 comments:

  1. Awwww...what a quote! Happy (belated) Birthday Miss Austen :-)

    I hope you're well and don't need to travel too much in this weather? Keep warm, Love from (snowy) London x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed Jane's birthday!! I hope you are staying close to home this holiday. Sounds like a bit of a snow nightmare in London.

    ReplyDelete