Thursday, 29 April 2010

Timelessness (Part Two)

I'm still bleary eyed today and my body is yelling at me that it's Eastern Standard Time and I should be asleep right now. To counteract this, I've been drinking large mugs of builders tea and it seems to have done the trick for now. As well as this, I've been looking over some old photos in my emails. I had emailed these to myself via my parents' computer a few weeks ago. Since discovering the treasure trove of images my Dad has scanned, I promptly disappear to email myself a few more everytime I visit!

 
I wrote about the timeless quality of certain very special photographs a little while ago here, and here is another that fits beautifully into that category too. I can only give you an educated guess as to the date this was taken, because Idon't really know a huge amount about the photo itself. What is known is this: Seated on the front row second from the right is my grandmother, and I think this was taken sometime in the mid to late 1940s. The place is the mill where she worked prior to marrying my grandad, and there's obviously some kind of celebration in progress. Quite what that maybe, I have no idea, but I think this is a wonderful image all the same. The curled hair, the paper hats, the drinks and the smiles are enchanting, while the presence of the loom on the left side of the picture shows that this was a break in an otherwise hard day's work.

Added to all that is the fact that it's black and white. Somehow photos take on another magical dimension when they are black and white...

No comments:

Post a Comment