Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Off I Go!

Today I'm off for a couple of days rest and relaxation in beautiful surroundings. I'm lucky enough to be going to Thoresby Hall in Nottinghamshire. A stone's throw from Sherwood Forest, this former ancestral home has been saved from ruin and is now a hotel.

It's funny that I was talking about Lady Mary Wortley-Montagu in yesterday's post, and today I'm off to the house where she was born. Thoresby was also used to eerie effect in the BBC's 1999 adaptation of Great Expectations (with Ioan Gruffudd and a resplendently decaying Charlotte Rampling as Miss Havisham). During it's restoration, the BBC used the crumbling interiors of the house as Satis House, the time-capsule home of Miss Havisham.

So, off I go to have fun, take photos and report back to you in a few days!

2 comments:

  1. sounds amazing, I look forward to those photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! I promise to get some photos up here as soon as I'm able...

    ReplyDelete